http://www.starfiredesign.com/) and other games systems so the actual underlying rules are not found anywhere but in the umpire's head!
The basics however are: -
- Space is vast...travel within a system is going to take weeks
- Space is so vast that travel between systems is impossible without using wormholes to get from one place to another.
- These can only be traversed by ships
- They are usually hard to find
- Ships are modular and expensive to build and operate
- Technology isn't consistent between cultures, but
- gets more expensive and more effective as you get better at using it
- can be stolen or researched
- operates according to a fixed set of rules so all technologies start looking alike (but not the same) regardless of where they were developed.